Thursday, December 13, 2012

12-13-12

May 2011 -- no will to live
6-10-12 --Filmed for getting certified as a Group Ride instructor. 
In May 2011, I weighed 270 lbs and smoked a pack of cigarettes a day. I had been overweight for most of my life and hated myself. I've tried all the quick diet pills and quick fixes and had more failures than I can remember.

Late June 2011, the light bulb went on and I decided to arm myself with knowledge on getting healthy. I studied nutrition and started exercising.... the only way to accomplish body transformation is to master caloric deficits. ACCOUNTABILITY IS KING.

This blog will show my intense journey to quit smoking and dedicate my life to being physically fit. If  I can inspire some more people to do the same, my journey would be even more meaningful.... this has become my higher purpose. 


Thank you to Alan Hirsch and Joe Stierwalt for their guidance in getting this blog rolling. 




This entry is dedicated to 2 members of my Genesis family, Becky Holcomb and Joe Stierwalt...... and to my amazing students (with a special shout out to Annie Bass).

As I did earlier this year in Group Ride, I am chasing a dream. Despite having written about this goal (and having told my students and a number of other friends about it) , I have spent the last week making excuses for why I should back down from Group Centergy training when it is offered :
-- I'm clumsy, not graceful
-- My folds are awful  ....very limited flexibility
-- may have to cancel one day of my G-cycle class to attend training.....
-- what if I fail?

  .....and on and on and on. Funny how easy it is to wimp out of chasing a dream.

This morning was different, though. I had just hung a sign for my students to see when they walked into my class today, "NO LIMITS" .  What  kind of hypocrite would preach that doctrine , but not live by it?

The clincher : yesterday in Vinyasa Flow Yoga, we listened to Rod Stryker on CD during Relaxation. He asked the listener to picture a goal ....and to picture its completion. The result of picturing myself getting certified in Group Centergy was tears. Yes, I LOVE Group Centergy and I want this desperately.

No promises that I will pull this off, but, if I do, wouldn't that score another big point for the Underdogs? Was there a more unlikely candidate for Group Ride instructor than the 270+ # chain smoker in the before picture?

So funny..... roughly 90 minutes after I dropped the last of my excuses, I was informed that Group Centergy training is coming up February 8-10. I can't think of a single reason not to go. 

No comments:

Post a Comment