Saturday, August 4, 2012

8-4-12

In May 2011, I weighed 270 lbs and smoked a pack of cigarettes a day. I had been overweight for most of my life and hated myself. I've tried all the quick diet pills and quick fixes and had more failures than I can remember.

Late June 2011, the light bulb went on and I decided to arm myself with knowledge on getting healthy. I studied nutrition and started exercising.... the only way to accomplish body transformation is to master caloric deficits. ACCOUNTABILITY IS KING.

This blog will show my intense journey to losing over 85 lbs in the past 8 months, while quitting smoking. If  I can inspire some more people to do the same, my journey would be even more meaningful.... this has become my higher purpose.
 


Thank you to Alan Hirsch and Joe Stierwalt for their guidance in getting this blog rolling.



Cutting :

I am not playing around with this cut. Wrapping up a creatine cycle and I certainly added bulk, though not in optimal fashion. Started the cycle at 188#, finishing in the 198-200# range (198 this morning).

I learned some valuable lessons on some BPI brand supplements.  A-50 did NOTHING for me. A-HD and Solid were OK, but not worth the $$. These were touted as game changing supplements on a creatine cycle. Not even close. Not surprising, as most supplements are overhyped. Every now and then, I stumble across an exciting supplement. I went 0-3 this time.


Feeling puffy and bloated was not what I wanted out of my creatine cycle. Better eating discipline would have helped and I am OK....just OK.... with the cycle. The water weight will vanish quickly. Though I am not "fat", nor will I ever be again, I FEEL fat. I do not like my midsection at all. Unacceptable, but easily correctable. My personal trainer will take my measurements again August 15th. I'm very upset at my waist measurement and body fat % from my July 30th measurements. I have only myself to blame if I fail to get better measurements on the 15th.

I started Intermittent Fasting today. I.F. = selecting an 8 hour window for food intake. That means my discipline has to be better than it has ever been before. What I will allow myself in the mornings :
HumaPro protein in water or juice
Zija in water
Recelerator or AfterShock (both contain protein) in water postworkout

Using a thermogenic capsule : MusclePharm Shred Matrix. I will add another Zija product, Zija XM AM capsules, August 13th.

Shred Matrix and sipping on coffee and Zija XM+ in water are keeping my appetite in control this morning.

The key to this cut is to not ruin a well disciplined morning by being a glutton in my 8 hour food window. I will eat a healthy lunch each day. My main course for supper will be a protein shake : 1 scoop of a protein blend (Dymatize XT is the low cost blend I will rotate with another brand -- haven't selected the other brand yet, but Syntrax Matrix 2.0 is very intriguing) plus 1 scoop of either Universal Pro and Oats or Optimum Nutrition Oats and Whey. Healthy snacks each day, including greek yogurt, fruit, veggies and spicy almonds.
Casein shake at 730 PM or so to close my 8 hour intake window.

HumaPro is going to be my primary protein : 4 scoops per day workout days. Runs only 55 cents per serving, which is outstanding. Predigested protein, thus the unpleasant after effects are greatly reduced. Flavor is interesting -- Apple Cider took a little getting used to. Directions for use are very unusual : it is to be taken on an empty stomach -- 2 hours after any food or anything containing amino acids..... and 25 minutes before food or amino acid intake. I'm having 2 scoops when I wake up and 2 scoops 2 hours after my mid afternoon snack.


The lowest weight I hit this past year was 179#. It was the best I had ever felt in my life. I know that 179-185# is a good range for me. Don't be surprised if I'm back to that range in 3 weeks. Where I go from there..... we'll see. My next creatine cycle starts September 26th.

2 comments:

  1. You can do it! Your determination is inspiring. I'm hoping to get to 178 in the next couple of weeks. It will mean I've lost 20% of my starting weight. My goal has been to become a Zumba instructor, but not until I reach that 20%. :-) Go Dave!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love it, Tamara! You have done so well losing weight. Your passion for exercise will carry you all the way to instructor level. Nothing in the world could be more rewarding than instructing. Just wait until you see one of your students catch fire!! Unbelievable feeling.

      I was in the clouds Wednesday when some friends thanked me for helping one of my students, a friend of theirs. When a 3rd party passes on a student's comments to you.... definitely a high.

      I am a bull in a china shop when it comes to zumba, but it's a great workout. Big calorie burner. Lots of fun. Big challenge. You definitely have the spirit for it, Tamara.

      Delete