Friday, November 16, 2012

11-16-12

In May 2011, I weighed 270 lbs and smoked a pack of cigarettes a day. I had been overweight for most of my life and hated myself. I've tried all the quick diet pills and quick fixes and had more failures than I can remember.

Late June 2011, the light bulb went on and I decided to arm myself with knowledge on getting healthy. I studied nutrition and started exercising.... the only way to accomplish body transformation is to master caloric deficits. ACCOUNTABILITY IS KING.

This blog will show my intense journey to quit smoking and dedicate my life to being physically fit. If  I can inspire some more people to do the same, my journey would be even more meaningful.... this has become my higher purpose.
 


Thank you to Alan Hirsch and Joe Stierwalt for their guidance in getting this blog rolling. 


                                                       With Graham for Military Appreciation Zumba 


Working 3rd shift tonight and I have some close friends facing some very tough things so I want to thank some loved ones for something positive going on in my life. 

Remember that fat, ugly, uncoordinated kid who really, really, really wanted to be an athlete? The one who was bad at everything but watching baseball and football on TV? 


He grew up to be a depression addict, hooked on drugs and alcohol. By all rights, he should have been in jail or the grave. 


Had to be divine intervention that gave me a son, as I can't picture any other reason I would have gone clean. Even if I'm wrong on that, SOMETHING magical had to take place several years later, as I finally broke my chains to depression and self loathing in 2011. 


With tons of help from my teammates, I soared at Genesis in 2011. I was into all kinds of workouts, but remember being equally fascinated by and terrified of the zumba classes.   


1st person I turned to was Rex Byer. Seeing Rex after he had sweated gallons in Zumba made me want to see how much I could grow if I added it to my mix. For stupid reasons going back years and years and years, I was still afraid. I turned to Cheri Mullen-Hastert to help me break through my list of excuses. Cheri is in my inner circle of friends at Genesis and her encouragement got me into a zumba class (after a couple weeks of last minute excuses).

I hid waaaaaayyyyy in the back corner and would have been terrified were it not for the fact everyone was so nice to me. Cheri had the girls give me an ovation after class. Very touching. I went a few more times, but was relieved when my fiancee Nita started going to zumba. With the excuse of "I should stay out of her way and let her do her thing", I was zumba free again.

Next up was a Military appreciation class. Nita and I got shirts designed by Angie Davis. Honestly, the only reason I attended was because Cheri's son Graham was there. Like his mom, Graham has been nothing but a blessing to me since the day we met (in a Hot Yoga class -- awesome!!).

My plan after that event was to wear the shirt, support Cheri and the rest of Team Zumba..... and all would be well as long as I didn't have to go more than once or twice a year. My plan fell apart when Nita talked Zumba & Group Power star Jenn Galloway into trying my Group Ride class. If Jenn could come to my class, I really had no choice but to go back to Zumba.

Happy ending : I was hooked by the 2nd class and am now a monday and friday morning regular. Cheri's energy is off the charts. I am also a big fan of Cheri's partner in crime Jill Chisam. I'm awfully impressed with instructors Chris Smith and Samantha Hildebrand, too. Even more impressive, though, is the fact that so many of the students are as talented as they are dedicated.

I am stronger than ever in Group Ride and G-cycle because I trusted in Cheri and co. to get me out of my comfort zone and, let's face it, I am walking, talking proof that muscle confusion works wonders. The joy Cheri has for attacking her workouts led to me practicing G-cycle after Zumba. I had a really wonderful group of students today. I have never felt stronger at the front of Studio B. My students and I crushed a very, very tough set. Blame Cheri for my extra energy today.

Zumba is offered in many places. I am thankful we all have freedom of choice. Cheri and Jill are my choice. I won't do zumba without them.
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment