Monday, March 5, 2012

3-5-12



3-1-12 -- The eyes say "tired", but that followed a great day at Genesis.  





In May 2011, I weighed 270 lbs and smoked a pack of cigarettes a day. I had been overweight for most of my life and hated myself. I've tried all the quick diet pills and quick fixes and had more failures than I can remember.

Late June 2011, the light bulb went on and I decided to arm myself with knowledge on getting healthy. I studied nutrition and started exercising.... the only way to accomplish body transformation is to master caloric deficits. ACCOUNTABILITY IS KING.

This blog will show my intense journey to losing over 85 lbs in the past 8 months, while quitting smoking. If  I can inspire some more people to do the same, my journey would be even more meaningful.... this has become my higher purpose.
 

Thank you to Alan Hirsch and Joe Stierwalt for their guidance in getting this blog rolling.


Lots of people are in my thoughts and prayers as I start my workout week , but I'm going to call out 3 :
Joe Stierwalt, Nicole Heneha and Michelle Stoll. Dedicating my workouts to you 3 today and G-cycle class tomorrow is for Nicole. I think the world of all 3 of you. 


Accountability :
Fantastic training session with Becky Carder this morning. She took my measurements before the session. On the positive side, I'm delighted with my chest measurement. Definite progress. On the down side.... my body fat % is in a holding pattern. I want it to decrease. No tiptoeing around the issue.... I'm pissed.  My food intake hasn't been horrible, but it hasn't been pointed towards optimal results lately. I work out hard and am really pointed in the right direction on supplement choices, but the 3rd section of my pyramid is eating clean. 

Snacks are fine, but there has to be a purpose. Spicy almonds, for example, are a real treat for me.... and they provide good fats and protein. I know my holding pattern isn't the end of the world : I feel GREAT and I am getting stronger, but I chose body fat % as a physical goal. I know how to address the issue and I alone am responsible for doing whatever it takes to reach that goal. Gripe session over -- I'm on top of this. 

Supplements : 
I've started focusing more on what I take post workout and before bed, really hadn't had much of a plan beyond protein and some amino acids post workout until lately. I'll stick with BCAAs and Vitamin Water Zero intra workout, but will make a post workout change.
Current post workout :

2 scoops Whey Protein
(using GNC Isolate 28 now -- back to Dymatize Hydrolyzed when I run out of the Isolate .... Dymatize is my favorite protein, period -- it is the only brand I will buy for whey or casein from now on)


1 scoop Casein  (Optimum Nutrition 100% Casein now -- switching to Dymatize Elite XT) 


1 tsp L-Glutamine




1 scoop BCAA


2 tsp Beta Alanine


1 scoop Arginine-Alpha Ketoglutarate


3 scoops Citrulline Malate 


Switching to Muscle Pharm Re-Con, which has those 5 items, plus carbs and some other goodies. It should work extremely well, from what I've read. We'll see what my body says about it, though.  I'll cycle 1 tub of Re-Con, then use 1 tub of Controlled Labs Purple Wraath plus 1 tub of Dymatize Flud Waxy Maize (carbs).  I have had tremendous results thus far not letting my body get too used to anything.

Speaking of, my workout schedule last week was pretty good for muscle confusion :


Monday --  training session with Becky

Tuesday -- Group Power  +  G-cycle

Wednesday -- Group Centergy + G-cycle practice + Vinyasa Flow Yoga  


Thursday -- Group Power + G-cycle practice with Graham Mullen and Kelly Bradshaw... they kicked ass! Best practice I've had.

Friday-- G-cycle + Zumba + Group Power + Group Ride .... hell, yeah.

Saturday -- Training session with Joe + Gentle Yoga.  


It was a strong week for me. That means nothing, however, if I don't make this week strong... and next week strong. I'm really only as good as the effort I put forth in my next workout. Smiling as I think of a couple guys who had been calling me "skinny".... you know.... I really don't care how this sounds.... I look in the mirror and I see a work in progress... but that WIP is "cut", not "skinny". Focused on working harder and harder. Biggest goal is to become the best I can be for my G-cycle students. 



Today's intake 2740 calories 47 grams fiber 262 grams protein
% of calories from fat is a little low. All the other numbers look good, even sodium. 

No comments:

Post a Comment