Thursday, April 5, 2012

4-5-12

 Happy birthday, dad!  As for the guy on the left, he has been rebuilt from the ground up. 





12-16-11 with Stewart 












In May 2011, I weighed 270 lbs and smoked a pack of cigarettes a day. I had been overweight for most of my life and hated myself. I've tried all the quick diet pills and quick fixes and had more failures than I can remember.

Late June 2011, the light bulb went on and I decided to arm myself with knowledge on getting healthy. I studied nutrition and started exercising.... the only way to accomplish body transformation is to master caloric deficits. ACCOUNTABILITY IS KING.

This blog will show my intense journey to losing over 85 lbs in the past 8 months, while quitting smoking. If  I can inspire some more people to do the same, my journey would be even more meaningful.... this has become my higher purpose.
 

Thank you to Alan Hirsch and Joe Stierwalt for their guidance in getting this blog rolling.  



Must read : Tamara's blog http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fsmilestillithurts.blogspot.com%2F2012%2F04%2Fanother-little-milestone-reached.html%3Fspref%3Dfb&h=aAQGX9OV0AQHWfBf5z2c2ziQ-LLWVk-uQIoUo3_4n-X6Nzg


Jerry Galemore, my dad, turned 69 today. Nita and I took him out to lunch after G-cycle class, which was dedicated to him.

I got a big treat this morning : a big pep talk from my favorite spin instructor, Stewart Flinn. Group Ride training is right around the corner (April 21-22) and Stewart had a good talk with me about what lies ahead. I worked extremely hard to transform my body. The biggest payoff is being one of Stewart's peers, an instructor at Genesis Health Clubs. Hands down my biggest moment in a Group Ride class was before one of Stewart's Monday classes back in November, when Stewart introduced me before class as "Your future instructor, The Beast".  Makes me smile so big. I'll never forget that feeling. I so desperately wanted to be an instructor .... and sure don't recall telling Stewart. Moments like that are the ones I need to have in mind as I face things I struggle with. Nothing worth having is easy, but life can be wonderful at times.

Struggles : we all have them.  I'm dealing with some things I need to let go of. God is better at handling them than I am.  Sure sign that I am in dire need of Group Centergy tomorrow morning. Nothing sets me at peace like Centergy.

Then again..... the previous sections were written before G-cycle class. I asked my students to do something today, then followed my own advice : I asked everyone to take something that was bothering them and leave it behind when they left for the day.  Still have a big issue that will resolve itself, but worrying about it wasn't doing me any favors. 8 hard working students, including John, the 1st timer, shared a grueling workout that has me floating in the clouds. I am so happy at the front of the classroom. I love the fight and spirit my students show. All of us have the power within us to help others, to encourage others. There is more than enough negativity in the world.... I find it imperative, blessed as I am, to do something positive when I can. It is the only way I can pay back those who have helped me and every one of us can take a look around and see someone who has it worse than we do. I would not be able to instruct were I not blessed with good health AND presented with such a wonderful opportunity to lead. I can't take my blessings for granted. Sure, I have plenty of failings and shortcomings, but I'd prefer my attitude not to be one of them. 

2929 calories
48 grams fiber 

246 grams protein
sodium was high and % of calories from fat was a little high




2 comments:

  1. David, I learned in my meetings that men only need 38 grams of fiber a day. I see you had an intake of 48 grams. I bet you are VERY regular! LOL!!!

    http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/features/fiber-how-much-do-you-need

    I really love your positive attitude. I find that your attitude, whether positive or negative affects others. Keep up the good work. You are an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL. Yeah, 38 grams is what I shoot for on fiber. Some days a little over, some a little under.

    Thank you so much, Tamara. It is easy for me to get focused on the wrong things, but something positive always jumps out at me at Genesis to get me back on track. Best part, of course, is my students. Tina, Raeann, Nita (I LOVE YOU!!), Detra, Gilda, Becca, Valerie and John had me roaring this morning. I want more.... every class feels better.

    ReplyDelete