Friday, January 27, 2012

1-27-12 Joe Stierwalt



The man himself, Joe Stierwalt
Thank you for all you have done for me, brother. 



Running this again for the rest of the week. The rest of my workouts this week are dedicated to Joe. Be well, my friend. 


In May 2011, I weighed 270 lbs and smoked a pack of cigarettes a day. I had been overweight for most of my life and hated myself. I've tried all the quick diet pills and quick fixes and had more failures than I can remember.

Late June 2011, the light bulb went on and I decided to arm myself with knowledge on getting healthy. I studied nutrition and started exercising.... the only way to accomplish body transformation is to master caloric deficits. ACCOUNTABILITY IS KING.

This blog will show my intense journey to losing over 85 lbs in the past 8 months, while quitting smoking and finding the love of my life -- GENESIS HEALTH CLUBS. If  I can inspire some more people to do the same, my journey would be even more meaningful.... this has become my higher purpose.
 

Thank you to Alan Hirsch and Joe Stierwalt for their guidance in getting this blog rolling.

Brace yourselves, folks.... this is the eagerly anticipated tell-all edition of a training session with Joe Stierwalt. 
Hasn't been a very pleasant week for me outside the gym, but such is life. I really enjoyed Group Centergy class this morning, but was in a foul mood as time approached to train with Joe. I did manage to smile when I saw the scale read 181.6#, my lowest total in years. Talked a little strategy with Joe as he took my measurements . Essentially : there are things I can't control. I have to choose between beating myself up over those things, which is my natural inclination.... or letting go, trusting in Joe to give me something I could attack. Joe had promised me something extra special today.... he will never fail to deliver on a promise. One more number for the day -- really proud of this : my body fat % dropped from 18.7 to 17.3% in the last 15 days. Still no target date for my goal of 13%.... and it will get more difficult as I get closer to the goal, but I will not fail. 


Joe certainly gave me something I could get my hands on. Today's session took place outside the weight room, back in a part of the building I had never seen. I'm pretty sure it's where bad G-cycle instructors get locked away as punishment, so I'll try to be on my best behavior every Tuesday. Becky Carder was back there, working out her victim, Amy Bretz (thank you for attending my class Tuesday, Amy!).  Joe carefully selected his instruments of torture and put me through a set of exercises I had never done before.  This was by far my toughest training session. I pushed a sled, did a tire flip, dodged knives that Joe and Becky threw at me during my "break" (OK, I made that bit up.... Becky didn't throw knives, she disapproved of a couple of Joe's methods ;)  ) .... the thing about brand new exercises is that they left me completely out of breath. It was a tremendous challenge, to say the very least.  



It was upstairs to studio B next.... no bike work, that would have been too easy. If my shoulders didn't fall off in what transpired, it sure felt like they were going to. Joe had me alternate between sets of front and side lifts for shoulders with weights, pushups and variations of a hover plank.... then it was on to the punching bag. I felt like I could no longer raise my arms by the end of the session. Every ounce of frustration I began the session with had been left on the gym floor. Joe's comments afterwards had me really fired up -- have to give the man credit, he definitely brought out the beast in me . I have to be honest .... after the session, I went down to the locker room, sat on a couch until I was sure I wouldn't be sick. No, that wasn't a bad thing. I needed to finish my workout week completely exhausted. Mission accomplished. I won't even consider exercising for the next couple days. I have the best personal trainer there is. Thank you, Joe!!!

Sure turned my day around and got my attitude back in positive mode. Next was my feast at Taco Bell .... 5 .... FIVE ... tacos from the fresca menu. Good stuff -- just under 900 calories for the meal, which isn't bad at all.... and it's a lot of food. I have a ravenous appetite after training sessions. 

For the day: 2596 calories 

266 grams protein
40 grams fiber 

% of calories from protein, carbs and fat looks really good
Sodium is high , all the other numbers are fine

No comments:

Post a Comment