Wednesday, January 11, 2012

1-11-12

Sickens me. I was telling myself that I wasn't gaining much weight. 


12-4-11 after Group Centergy with instructor Diane Ravenstien -- I had lost 75# at that point 








In May 2011, I weighed 270 lbs and smoked a pack of cigarettes a day. I had been overweight for most of my life and hated myself. I've tried all the quick diet pills and quick fixes and had more failures than I can remember.

Late June 2011, the light bulb went on and I decided to arm myself with knowledge on getting healthy. I studied  nutrition and started exercising.... the only way to accomplish body transformation is to master caloric deficits. ACCOUNTABILITY IS KING.

This blog will show my intense journey to losing over 85 lbs in the past 8 months, while quitting smoking and finding the love of my life. If I can inspire some more people to do the same, my journey would be even more meaningful.... this has become my higher purpose. 


Had a nice chat with Stewart Flinn following his Group Ride class tonight. Caloric deficits was a big topic. http://www.hussmanfitness.org/html/TSCalDeficits.htm

The linked page has a link to John's BMR calculator. To lose 1 lb in a week, you need a caloric deficit of 3500. Hypothetically, let's say my Base Metabolic Rate (calories my body would burn just staying in bed all day) is 1900. My intake was 2000 calories. I burned 700 calories working out.
1900 BMR + 700 calories burned = 2600
2600 - 2000 calories consumed = a caloric deficit of 600.

I am not convinced there is an accurate way to determine calories burned. There are some pretty good estimates, though, on sites like 
http://www.livestrong.com/myplate .
Their guesstimates are a little low, IMO, but that's OK. Still gives you something to work with.

One thing to keep in mind about caloric deficits is that weight is a factor. Let's say I weigh 210# and am next to a guy weighing 180#. We are doing the same workout. As my body has to work harder to do the same activity, I burn more calories.



My day........ as are all my other days the past several months, it was a great one. Ashley Carol met me for Diane Ravenstien's 515 AM Group Centergy class. Not being a space case like I was this morning, Ashley showed up early. I barely snuck in for the start of class. I warmed up with the 1st 2 tracks, then went to Tami Rump's 530 AM Group Ride class. Tami started out like me, as a G-cycle instructor. She is a fantastic Group Ride instructor and has been a big help -- pointing out some form adjustments I needed to make. Stewart Flinn and Coach Becky Holcomb have worked with me as well. The other Ride instructors, Laurie, Kirby and Michelle have helped, too. Truth be told, I have received nothing but encouragement from every instructor and trainer at Genesis.

Got off work early tonight and caught the end of Stewart's Group Ride class, then practiced for my G-cycle class Tuesday. Practice went well. I fired through the tracks, hitting climb track twice. All that was missing was the energy I feed off from my students. Stewart preaches the truth when he says a group setting can encourage us to work harder.

It was nice to chat with Stewart and Osun, Jade and Alex ... and Chris and Sara tonight.  3 all star couples, in my book.

Best parts of my day involved Shelly. Just hanging out with her for a couple hours at The Natural Alternative, 300 N Main, was grand. We talked mostly about our future together as husband and wife, but plenty of health matters came into play, too. She gets that sparkle in her eye when I talk to her about Amino Acids. Aminos are sexy. I want that store to grow and I want to work side by side with my girl. My knowledge of supplements plus her knowledge of vitamins and minerals (plus her smokin' hot bod) make for a dynamic team. She is in denial on this fact, but she's gorgeous.  I got to talk to Shelly and grandbaby Ella tonight. I am already a big pushover for that little doll. I hope Shelly knows how much it means to me that we pray together daily. God is going to stay in the center of our relationship. We've tried everything else in the past. He brought me that girl, so he gets my all. Nothing on this earth could be better than the gift of Shelly's heart. She believes in us every bit as much as I do.

Not to force my beliefs on anyone.... believe in whatever you wish.... just asking this to christians : are you thanking God each day for what you've been blessed with? I pray that God would help Elizabeth Immesote as she works towards her goals. She is blood.... and I am deeply honored to help her in any way I can. Elizabeth will join me for Group Centergy 530 AM Friday!! 





No comments:

Post a Comment