Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Changing gears

Horrific -- who in the hell is that guy?
With my mentors .... and, now, I get to say fellow instructors at Genesis, "Coach" Becky Holcomb and Stewart Flinn



1-7-12  --down to a Medium shirt and 184#




In May 2011, I weighed 270 lbs and smoked a pack of cigarettes a day. I had been overweight for most of my life and hated myself. I've tried all the quick diet pills and quick fixes and had more failures than I can remember.

Late June 2011, the light bulb went on and I decided to arm myself with knowledge on getting healthy. I studied  nutrition and started exercising.... the only way to accomplish body transformation is to master caloric deficits. ACCOUNTABILITY IS KING.

This blog will show my intense journey to losing over 85 lbs in the past 8 months, while quitting smoking and finding the love of my life. If I can inspire some more people to do the same, my journey would be even more meaningful.... this has become my higher purpose.




http://www.amazon.com/dp/1552100383/ref=asc_df_15521003831848058?smid=A1ZBO6UAVX9SWZ&tag=pgmp-1583-97-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395109&creativeASIN



http://www.livestrong.com/myplate/

2 tools that worked for me. Tosca Reno's book changed my life. Coach Becky Holcomb loaned me the book. It is not a diet book. I hate dieting. Sustained results mean permanently changing habits.
The 2nd link is my choice for food intake tracking. I have minimum intake levels on fiber and protein and minimum AND maximum calorie intake totals. I also track my exercise. There is no reason for me to take in less than 2000 calories a day. I went over 3500 calories yesterday.... HEALTHY calories.... and I lost another pound. How am I to know EXACTLY what works or doesn't work without accountability?


Eat clean
Sleep
Fiber http://www.healthcalculators.org/calculators/fiber.asp
Protein -- no less than 0.8 grams per lb of body weight per day
Water -- take a long look at your water intake
Exercise
Exercise again
Exercise yet again, for good measure -- mix it up -- muscle confusion works wonders

Protein -- 

Minimum of 1 gram protein per pound of body weight on workout days worked very well for me in 2011. Working to add muscle in 2012, so I bumped my workout day minimum to 1.4 grams protein per lb of body weight. Mondays are my day off from work, meaning 4+ hours of working out and an increase to 1.6 grams protein per pound. 0.8 grams per pound was my minimum in 2011 on non workout days. Now I shoot for a minimum of 200 grams protein on those days. 


Fiber -- 
To lose weight or build muscle, you need fiber. My minimum fiber intake is 37 grams per day. 


USRDA -- 

Those amounts would work fine for me if I stayed at this weight and never exercised. My USRDA based on a 2000 calorie diet scaled to my calorie goal  is   31 grams  fiber and 63 grams protein. 63 grams protein is laughable for the way I exercise. 



How badly you want the results will be the difference. No bragging..... I GO OFF in the gym. It's addictive. Cardio + weight lifting + yoga .... adding some aerobics to the mix now, too. I like climate controlled environments. I love working out with my personal trainer..... and I love working out in a class setting, which allows me to feed off the positive energy of everyone in class.

From couch potato to G-cycle instructor at Genesis Health Club. Happened to me at age 42 and I NEVER committed to exercise when I was younger. If I can do it, anyone can. I crush physical goals. How? I eat right, I work out hard, and I pray hard.

Then: I was AWFUL at every sport.... my heroes were guys I watched on TV.

Now: TV bores me. The last thing I want to do is watch some other guy play sports. I want to burn calories and build muscle. I want to work out in a room filled with dedicated athletes who are a team due to their positive energy.

Never saw Derek Jeter in spin class, but I saw 8 badasses in front of me in my G-cycle class this morning. I'd take my 9 person team from this morning over any team.







I have some goals for this blog.


  • I want to help others lose weight and/or quit smoking -- that is the only way I can repay those who helped me 
  • I want to share my love for Genesis Health Club and I want to see my Tuesday 9 AM class packed 
  • I want to do whatever I can to somehow, some day get my dream job -- I want to work side by side with the love of my life, Shelly Hurtt, at her store, The Natural Alternative --3rd and Main Hutchinson, KS . I believe in that store. 
  • I want healthy discussion via comments. Questions? Fire away. Tips? Send them. Exercise, food, supplements..... all of the above are in play.





Supplement note -- common sense : only take 1 new supplement at a time. Taking more than one doesn't allow you to accurately see what works or what doesn't work.

Back to "diet".... hate that word. DON'T STARVE YOURSELF. Portion control plus healthy snacking works just fine. Pick a target to improve : condiments, for example. Use salsa in place of salad dressing. No regular mayo. Ever. Light mayo or mustard instead. I was so bad at taking a perfectly good salad, then drowning it in bleu cheese dressing. I hate to think about the calorie count of those salads.

I welcome prayer requests. I'll mention my girl a lot.  I might even mention something like.... I'm putting a ring on her finger soon. Stay tuned. 



Huge thank you to Alan Hirsch for his pep talk via text and email. Alan challenged me to raise the bar 

 2 of my 3 girls, Shelly and granddaughter Ella. I'll get some pics with Ella's mom, Ashley Carol, very soon. Ashley started taking Group Centergy (yoga) classes with me at Genesis Sunday -- it's an honor to work out with her. 
-



2 comments:

  1. I love this blog, it inspires me to be a better man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just want to share anything I can to help others. I had so much help in my journey. Seeing people talk about being frustrated with their DIET..... I hate that word. Diet = short term change = short term results.

    Eat clean. Exercise. Rest. Hydrate. Pretty simple, really.

    Time to start a revolution. The power of positive thought crushes goals. Pass it on.....

    ReplyDelete